Sunday, February 26, 2012


Sparkle Sparkle little star.............I mean.........Shower Door

Pinterest Review: Sparkling Shower doors

Now I have been working on this one for a while now.........about month to be exact.....I figured out my shower doors were really dirty.....actually I'm finding that out about a lot of things in my house......I tries 5 different remedies that I found on Pinterest.......I'll start with my least favorite......Pics were hard to take too........my shower doors have a frosted look to them so its not clear like other doors I've seen.....you can rest assured I marched my whole family in and looked at the different "
circles" on the shower doors to determine which worked best ......I'm going to start with # 5 and work my way down.........

5.   Grapefruit with salt
1. Halve Grapefruit: 1 medium to large grapefruit will clean your entire bath or shower from top to bottom, including all the fixtures. Simply cut it in half with a knife and you'll be all set.
2. Sprinkle With Salt: Using 1 grapefruit half at a time, sprinkle liberally with salt. Wet your bathtub and sprinkle the remaining salt around the bottom.
3. Take That Scrubbing Bubbles!Scrub your grapefruit around your shower or tub, making sure to slightly "juice" the citrus over each fixture and lifting it every few seconds to pick up fresh salt from around the tub instead of just pushing it around.
4. Rinse: When all is said and done, simply rinse away the pulpy bits and the salt and your shower is as good as new. Not only is it clean, it will smell so fantastic you'll want to curl up in it and read a book. Ok, probably not, but you get the idea!
Additional Notes:
This technique will get thick grime and dirt rings off your shower area and does amazing work on cast iron tubs especially. You can also use this method to clean your sinks, toilets, tile and more — it just depends on how grapefruit crazy you want to get!


I did this on some of the shower but focused mostly on the shower doors........I was after getting that soap scum off and get a sparkly clean shower door.........I was not impressed with this.........on the shower doors........I may give it another try when I do my bathtub in the other bathroom.........I found the bits of pulp left everywhere a nuisance because i used it on both sides of shower doors......I give this a



4. Lemon Scented Pledge




spray on shower door........let it sit about 30 mins.    come back with a little brush and scrub and clean.....it will also have an oil barrier that allows water to run down shower door........

Now the pics that went along with this was impressive....that's why I decided to try it......I sprayed and went away and came back with scrub brush......I found that if you didn't spray every square inch this method didn't work..........I wasn't crazy about spending 3.00 dollars on the smallest can I could find and I definetely wasn't crazy about inhaling the fumes after spraying on the shower door in a small area...........I wasn't crazy about the result and even if I was this method doesn't follow my "green" philosophy......sorry Pledge but you get a

3. Martha Stewart Magic Cleaning Solution

Here's a nontoxic but effective way to clean your tub: Add one teaspoon of liquid soap and several drops of an antibacterial essential oil (such as tea tree, eucalyptus, rosemary, or peppermint) to one cup of baking soda. Add just enough water to form a paste, and use it with a sponge or brush to scour bathtub surfaces.

This was the winner for awhile........it does what it says it does ......i bought a pretty cute little thing that made cleaning the doors pretty easy......


Pretty Pleased with this......Martha knows what she's talkin bout.......it gets a


2. Bounce dryer sheets



So extremely surprised this works........amazed at how well it works..........it doesn't get any easier that grabbing a dryer sheet and starting in small circles.....just a little water to the sheet and start cleaning.......its gets pasty and one sheet will do a lot.........I was very impressed with this one.......this one was close to being #1.......it gets a big

1. Dawn + vinegar= soap scum gone


Equal parts of vinegar and Dawn........one site was pretty adament about getting blue dawn..... but I got Power Control in gray bottle......the secret here is to heat the vinegar.......I didn't have a spare spray bottle so I used an empty dawn bottle......I think a spray bottle would work better but the way I did worked also.... anyway....spray on the doors and let sit about two hours......go back and scrub and then rinse........this one was really pretty easy to do and worked really good..........I was pleased with it.......If I didn't have the time or the ingredients I would also use the Bounce dryer sheets and non brand will work as well but for Go Green and homemade.....this one gets a big


This is the best pic I could get with my phone to show you the end result..........

Not quite done........I put all this work into my shower doors I decided to try one finishing touch

I decided to spray Rain X on the doors...the thought is that is will work like when you put it on your car windows.......I will have to get back with you on this but I thought it was worth a try........and since you're still here you get a bonus:

Showerhead Cleaner -1/3 cup baking soda -1 cup white vinegar -1 plastic bag -1 large bag twisty tie Let sit several hours or overnight.





No comments:

Post a Comment